Monday, October 31, 2005

Pixmantec RawShooter Premium Thoughts

RawShooter Premium is on special offer for the rest of today, my experiences with it over the weekend have been good. I particularly like these features, most of which I think are new:

- nice cropping tool

- curves support

- card downloader which can work in the background - you can start viewing a slideshow part way through the copy and the new pictures copied over get tacked on the end of the slideshow (good for reviewing your stuff quickly)

- great hot pixel setting (zaps individual problem pixels painlessly)

I still need to look at these features, they sound promising:

- upsampling capability (doing it at the raw stage is a good idea!)

- view multiple images at same time (to find sharpest of a sequence etc)

I wish:

- ... I could find a way of doing basic white balance presets (cloudy, daylight etc) in a similar way to Adobe Camera Raw

All in all this program does most of what I need, I find some of the settings very harsh in their default mode, but that might just be a matter of taste. I personally do not sharpen unless I'm in the output stage, so I have found myself turning sharpness and detail extraction right down in RawShooter. That may be a matter of taste though...

In summary, I think this is an excellent program. I don't think I'll be chucking my copy of PhotoShop away - but I certainly won't be using Adobe Camera Raw as often.

No comments:

Google